Tuesday 29 May 2007

A Useful Day


At the River's Edge (Oil on board; 24 x 12 ins.)

I guess that's about enough on that one (although I may check the lower part when the paint is dry and add a a bit of a darker glaze to bring it down a little). Then it's up on the wall at the Club to see if I might win something.

I figured it was about time I started on some work for next year's show in South Shields, even though we don't have a definite date for it yet. This is the subject I liked best from my first foray into Sandancer country. Now that it's under way, I think it looks very promising.


Metro (start)

To round off the session, I played about with the sky on one of my small landscapes that have been troubling me for some time. They just seemed a little dull, so I've been adding dramatic skies. I put a new one on this last week, and again a couple of days ago, but I still wasn't satisfied. Today's looks more likely to stay, although in different light I find the green I introduced as a reflection of the landscape itself has turned out to be somewhat strident. So I'll probably be having another go at it some time soon.


Catterline Sky (ongoing)

2 comments:

RODRIGO PRADEL said...

wow, the 1st piece is beautiful... love the format and the colors work soo well.
the clouds on Catterline sky are so grasping... thick but not too powerfull.... nice work..

harry bell said...

Thanks, Rodrigo, and welcome. I used a lot of Spectragel in the Catterline sky - it makes the paint thick and sticky in a way I like.