Wednesday 15 October 2008

Pere et Mere Tanguy


Pere et Mere Tanguy's Night Out (Oil and postcard on board, 12 x 13.5 ins.)

Here's an oddity which fell out of a cupboard today. I think it was an early OCA exercise in which we were asked to buy a postcard, stick it down, then extend it in paint. Most people went for things like extending Baby Jesus in his crib to include the rest of the animals, the barn, all the angels etc, etc. Not me.

The picture hasn't stood the test of time too well - the postcard has faded and lifted from the board slightly - but I still have a soft spot for it.

It reminds me of this later picture I made, taking one of my favourite paintings in the National Gallery (Saint Jerome in his Study by Antonello da Messina) and reworking it a little as this:


The St. Jerome Study and Heritage Centre (Oil on canvas, 16 x 12 ins.)

2 comments:

virtualjourney said...

Liked the angle on St Jerome. Thanks for the OCA reminder - haven't seen their material for some time and the BA looks interesting. Not sure how it'd fit in with blogging, though....

harry bell said...

I always rated the OCA's Painting course (written by Ian Simpson) very highly, but their prices have shot up since I took it. As for fitting it in with blogging, it's all a matter of priorities, I guess :)