Thursday 16 September 2010

Old Drawings #61


Beyond Lemba (Charcoal, compressed charcoal on cartridge paper, 60 x 60 cms.)

This was the second large drawing I made based on the curious wall round the Cyprus College of Art. Things seemed to be going really well, I thought, and I continued with a second large painting of the same subject, working on it at the same time as the painting already posted here.



Beyond Lemba (Oil and collage on board, 60 x 48 ins)

"Great!" said the MA student in the adjoining studio. "You should try not to be simply The Man Who Paints Newcastle."

Ah, if only. Unfortunately, the market locally calls for paintings of Newcastle and until I can establish a greater presence outside the area, I may have to ensure the greater part of my output continues to be Tyneside oriented.

2 comments:

Jean said...

This is terrific, but your studio mate gives bad advice: Being known as the man who paints Newcastle sounds like a very good thing.

harry bell said...

It's complicated and maybe deserves a better explanation than I can give here in the Comments box. Watch for a post on this subject. And thanks.